-->

5.10.13

Wolfe: Corpse Princess / Shikabane Hime (屍姫)

Wolfe reporting.

I watched Corpse Princess (aka Shikabane Hime) a while ago. 屍姫 : roughly translated, it's "dead" and "princess". I'm also starting a new category, "Concept", based off of Roxas' "Premise", that doesn't hold any weight (any negatives or positives will be attributed to "Plot"). I found the anime by a suggestion from Claymore, one of my classic cornerstones in anime. And, in all reality, it's very similar to Claymore. While it's arguably not a "great" anime, I liked it, especially the darkness and the bad guys (the Seven Stars). The genre is labeled as thus: romance, horror, action. While the romance seems fairly hollow/shallow to me, I very much enjoy the horror, and the action is fairly straightforward (Claymore with guns, effectively). So, let's get started!

I give it a 8.5 / 13! (= 65%)

Concept: I'll start this out by explaining (best I can) about the concept of a Shikabane in the first place. A Shikabane is the name for someone who died and hung onto life because of a powerful regret or obsession-- it's very rare, so just because someone has a powerful regret/obsession doesn't at all mean that they'll become a Shikabane upon death. Shikabane can sometimes look the same, but oftentimes have very different appearances-- very much akin to the Awakened Beings in Claymore. Also like Awakened Beings, the Shikabane are superhuman in strength, size, etc.-- like a spirit that is also solid, if that makes sense. They are prone to changing form. Humans basically can't harm them (and maybe not see them either-- it's been a while since I've seen the anime). So, basically, when someone has died and is turning into a Shikabane, if a priest (that's the best word I have for them) is there, the soon-to-be Shikabane can willingly choose to serve them, then transforming them into a Shikabane Hime. Shikabane Hime are able to stay in this world due to Rune (life-energy) provided by the priest. Shikabane Hime are used to hunt Shikabane (again, like in Claymore, where half-Yoma half-human Claymores hunt Yoma). Their incentive? Once they kill 108 Shikabane, they get to go to Heaven (whereas killed Shikabane are certain to go to Hell). Shikabane Hime are nearly invincible, able to survive very very grevious wounds, only able to be killed by having their brain destroyed or by being chopped up into little tiny pieces. Extra card: Shikabane (not Shikabane Hime) have a curse, an ability they can use and/or have to use (and that's about all I can say on that without spoilers).

Introduction Sequence: 2 / 2. I don't necessarily think it's the best intro by a long shot, but it has all the elements I like. It doesn't spoil much, accurately portrays the anime, is fast-paced, has eye-candy action and a song that's okay. Link: Opening Sequence.

Animation Style: 2 / 2. I enjoy this animation style. Absolutely no chibi here, assuming I recall correctly. It's right up there with Steins;Gate.

Examples:

http://img.zimabdk.com/uploads/13776650852.jpg
http://static.minitokyo.net/reviews/1722_2.jpg


Music: 1 / 1. I'm actually making assumptions by giving it this rating-- I recall the music setting the tone perfectly well at dark/horror parts, and yet, the OST is pretty bland/generic. Link: Shikabane Hime OST.

Plot: 2 / 4. I very much enjoyed the second half of the anime, but the first half was incredibly lacking. I'd have given it a "0.5" were it not for the second half. If I was reviewing just the second half, I'd have given it a "3", maybe. There was some romance throughout, but it was very hollow/shallow; it didn't land well, and, as Roxas'll tell you, I can normally attach to characters very easily. There was a lot of action, and the action was actually very good. Simplex and straightforward, but good. Like swordfighting in Claymore, Shikabane Hime fight Shikabane with guns (and I do believe there are a few sword-users). There were some very dark and twisted parts to this anime, and I absolutely adored these-- for these, I was definitely willing to overlook the poor romance. I also adored the bad guys! The main bad guys, the Seven Stars, are very slowly introduced, shrouded in mystery for the first half of the anime. I'm especially a fan of three of the Seven Stars, but naming them and their abilities would be quite the spoiler, sadly. The plot follows the main girl character, a Shikabane Hime, but the camera (so to speak) mostly follows the main boy character (who I don't really like, sorry).

Characters: 1.5 / 4. The characters weren't very good, and I reckon that was the issue. I mean, I'm in complete adoration of the Seven Stars, but they're the only characters I liked. There were some temporary characters that I liked, but usually they aren't seen long and are never seen again (hard to explain why). Some characters were weak, and others were overpowered (although, happily, not nearly as much as the Seven Stars). Some characters were obviously eye candy (women). I will say that Raki (from Claymore) is almost exactly alike to the main male character. He's something of a crybaby who's in love with a powerful girl, who has these overly-optimistic ideals regarding "no war", "no pain", "no death" scenarios. The women are touched that he cares for them, etc. etc. Shallow and hollow, really.

If you like the dark and twisted, a long lead-in, and untouching romance, then this is the anime for you. As for myself, I just liked the dark and twisted (and, eventually, the bad guys).

Do excuse my constant Claymore references. This anime truly is ever so similar to Claymore.

Wallpapers:

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/20800000/makina-shikabane-hime-20891770-1024-768.jpg
http://cdn.madman.com.au/images/series/series_15818.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo186/slayer545/snapshot20081205011024.jpg
http://baratijasblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/10cbe66a2c93e2af22e302667cfa9bc6.jpg

AMV's:
EPIC AMV
AMV (Thriller)
AMV

We miss Baldr. He'll show up. Eventually.

We have a new admin in the house!! His name is Demothis ("deemo"+ "this" as in "thistle"). He's been an Animehead for a long time! (As Japanese doesn't exactly have a "th" sound, the closest I can manage is デモせ). Welcome!

Next time: Baccano! I'm not quite done yet, but it'll likely be my next review, unless I manage to pump out one within two days somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, click "older posts" to view more, or find reviews by particular reviewers from the top. Thanks! ~Wolfe