-->

21.10.13

Wolfe: Darker Than Black Gaiden -黒の契約者-

Wolfe reporting.

First and foremost: I'm reviewing Darker Than Black Gaiden, four OVA episodes set between Darker Than Black Season 1 and Season 2. I usually don't watch OVA (finding them to be far poorer quality than the seasons I love), but Roxas was very insistent that I watch these particular OVA. To be fair, these are the best OVA I've seen. Also to be fair, I've only seen one other OVA (Steins;Gate).

Gaiden feels like a mini-anime, a standalone with the main characters already introduced. You definitely want to watch Season 1 before watching Gaiden. That being said, while it did taste less professional-grade (in comparison with Season 1 DTB), it was actually pretty good. My rating system doesn't work as well for such a short "season" of 4 episodes, so keep that in mind as you read onwards.

I give it a 10.5 / 13! (=80.8%)

Concept: The concept is still the same as traditional DTB-- for explanations regarding the contractors, dolls, etc., please refer to My Darker Than Black Review.

Introduction Sequence: 1 / 1. I feel a little bit ridiculous rating this introduction sequence, given how absurdly brief it is. However, assuming that people have already seen Season 1, it makes sense: it's incredibly brief, and displays only the logo of the anime. After all, at this point, that's all they need to do (and can do). 4 episodes isn't enough for a shot-filled intro; showing clips from Season 2 wouldn't be fitting; showing clips (or the same intro) from Season 1 wouldn't really be appropriate. For my own personal opinion, I found myself enjoying the brevity of the introduction sequence-- I actually recall noting something along the lines of: "That's actually pretty nice."

You can't actually find a Youtube clip of the opening, so here's the logo it portrays (it's truly that simplistic):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/Dblack.png

Animation Style: 2 / 2. The animation style in this OVA does not deviate from Season 1's animation style. I am a fan of this animation style! It's on the harsher side of the chibi-to-harsh scale.

Examples:

http://randomc.net/image/Darker%20than%20BLACK/Darker%20than%20BLACK%20-%20Gaiden%2004%20-%20Large%2001.jpg
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7460/dtb0.png

Music: 0.5 / 1. I actually mark it down for music, because I think there needed to be more music. There were scenes where I found myself missing music. I reckon there was a lower budget for these OVA, because I also noted that several of the heard soundtracks were recognizable [in a negative way] (as freebies on the 'Net somewhere, I'm sure). I understand that they wanted a lot of quiet moments, but even quiet moments could use soft background music (as is done in Season 1).

Plot: 3 / 4. I enjoyed the plot, but it could have been done better. Yin undergoes a change, differing from other dolls. She actually gains some amount of power (how much and what kind I shan't say), which is pretty cool/surprising. I mark the plot down mainly because I don't think there's any back-story (I was waiting the whole first episode but never got it). I think the plot they came up with simply had to happen, so the animators didn't focus enough on the lead-in (although there is a little good lead-out). In the first episode, Hei and Yin are at a hotel of sorts, trying to get somewhere, but end up just hanging around for several days, which, in comparison with Season 1's movement, felt completely unrealistic to me. The climax on the last episode seemed rushed, too.

Characters: 3 / 4. Listen, I love Yin. In fact, I think I have a small crush on her (similarly to Kurisu from Steins;Gate, but that's another story). Yin is the huge role of Gaiden. Despite this, I have some points to bring up. Firstly: there is a transition with Yin, but it starts too quickly. Her last appearance in Season 1 and her first appearance in Gaiden are very different. She transitions appropriately thenceforth, but I'd have preferred that she be presented firstly as her original state in the end of Season 1. Also, "the thing" (that's what I'll call it, so I don't spoil anything) has bad back-story-- we hear something about the Articles of something (again, trying not to spoil anything), but other than that, "the thing" has zero back-story.

OP: Believe it or not, Hei isn't portrayed as OP in Gaiden as he was in Season 1. He's definitely feared (and rightfully so), but he seems to be, well, human (yes, that's a joke, but the point remains that the things he does seem more possible in Gaiden). "The thing" (for what else can I call it without ruining anything?) is obviously pretty OP, but we never get to see too much of this, just references to it. Everyone is pretty OP in this, making it seem like no one really is (besides aforementioned exceptions).

Hey guys, guess what? There's a new rating category: "Addictability". It's my effort to put my personal opinion in with the objective.

Addictability: 1 / 1. This little 4-episode piece was actually very addictive. I started and finished it on the same day (probably not a good thing, considering the work I should be doing). Definitely worth the watch once you've seen Season 1 of DTB.

If you liked Season 1 and liked Yin, you should see Gaiden. I don't know how I could emphasize this more. It's 4 episodes. Just watch them.

Wallpapers:

http://blog.pucp.edu.pe/media/2957/20100506-Darker%20Than%20Black%20Gaiden%20OVa%203%20full.png
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgIn8ql6V0oM93-o9zqeC1CgrxUn2PDGYu6jdTNuS5ofKIKsOMIhs0NV81dFzzLX0FXZCeR_6M2ubclpJI41APS1nWYCd3Q3pmv2GAdXanDbytinovn9awqexX1e3b6S3dqVzM83-PBsU8/s1600/DTB+Gaiden+02+8.JPG
http://www.anbient.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/completa/screenshots/darker_than_black_-_kuro_no_keiyakusha_gaiden/darker_than_black_-_kuro_no_keiyakusha_gaiden-2811.jpg
https://blogs.emory.edu/animec/files/2010/07/DTB04-34.jpg
So, there aren't any AMV's for this particular little piece that were any good (that I found). After all, it's an OVA. Not enough material in 4 episodes for a good AMV.

Next time: ??? Dunno what'll be next, guys. I'm thinking SAO, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, click "older posts" to view more, or find reviews by particular reviewers from the top. Thanks! ~Wolfe