-->

28.12.13

Wolfe: Steins;Gate・Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu (劇場版 シュタインズ・ゲート 負荷領域のデジャヴ)

Wolfe reporting.

Apologies for the long title! This is a review on the Steins;Gate movie that came out this year, a sequel to the anime series & OVA.

So, I just jumped back into the whole Steam thing. Also, Iorek and I are challenging each other to see who can have more posts. While I reckon he'll win, I'm going to put up something of a fight. This means I'll be doing the Saturday posts more often as well ^_^ ..Also, I decided to grab this review before he did. Muahahahah.

On with the review! Keep in mind that things will be a bit different, as I won't look at movies or manga under the same eyeglasses as the anime.

Plot: Well, the plot in Déjà vu is a tad unbelievable, but they did a good job trying to explain everything. If you're not familiar with the Steins;Gate anime, game, or manga, might want to check out Roxas' review on the anime. It's one of our most popular posts, after all.

Basically, Kurisu's visiting Japan from America because of some conference. It's also the first time in a year that she's gotten to hang out with the crew. So, after some Tsundere camaraderie between Kurisu and Kyouma, there's a nice barbecue (and Kurisu decides to be all adorable. Still getting over that). Then Kyouma is seemingly erased from the world line. Things happen, and it's discovered that, due to his Reading Steiner, Kyouma is wandering between the Steins Gate world line and one that is .0000005% (or something like that) divergent, and eventually ends up on the other one. So Kurisu gets to play Timelord and try to fix everything.

I actually seriously enjoyed this plot. The other day when talking with Iorek, I was saying that the only thing that could've made Steins;Gate better would've been to have Kurisu be the time-traveling-one saving Kyouma. So, here I got that wish, basically.

Animation Style: The animation style is exactly the same as the anime, and since I loved the anime animation style... that's good!

Examples nonetheless:

Kurisu being all cool. Source.
Mayuri and Kurisu reacting. Source.
Kyouma and Kurisu being serious. Source.
Kurisu being ridiculously adorable. Source.

Whoops. Accidentally had Kurisu in all of my examples.

Pace: Well, as a movie, there's a nice tight constraint on how long things can be. It had a nice long introduction piece, but took a while to get to the meat. Once it was there, though, there wasn't much progress towards a solution. Just like in the actual anime (excluding the OVA), the ending was happy, but too brief! It just hints at things to come. All in all, I loved the pacing, I just wish they could have expounded upon the ending.

Conclusion: If you loved the anime, you'll love this movie! You get to know Kurisu more, and some after-plot after Steins Gate was reached. Watch it! Use the link I sourced in my screenshots if you don't have a source.

Next time: So, for my post on Monday, your hint is "pink-haired psychopath". If that doesn't tell all, then... you clearly haven't seen it yet. Look forward to it!

Wolfe out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, click "older posts" to view more, or find reviews by particular reviewers from the top. Thanks! ~Wolfe