-->

2.12.13

Wolfe: Towa no Quon (トワノクオン) {#RP}

Wolfe reporting.

Repost in occurrence. My first few reviews were terrible and so, upon occasion, I shall re-review them. This includes Claymore, Deadman Wonderland, and Towa no Quon.

I almost posted my Ergo Proxy review tonight, but decided it was time to revive this one instead.

Logo! Source.

When it comes to the Japanese, Towa no Quon is basically a correct translation of トワノクオン. There's トワ, "Towa" (in this case, a name), ノ, "no" (which has a place in the simplistic Japanese; however, I have yet to entirely figure out this place), and then there's クオン, "kuon" (in this case, also a name). If you're seriously interested in Japanese (I forget the slang term kids these days use for it), you should consider looking at the second part of this page. Again, Towa no Quon (alternatively: Towanoquon) appears to be a good translation for "Towa no kuon".

There are six episodes for Towa no Quon, although each is about 50 minutes long, perhaps closer to an hour. It's the equivalent of 12 24-minute episodes, if I recall correctly, so don't let the short number of episodes turn you off for watching it.

Personal/Subjective Opinion: 11 / 12 (=91.6%)!
Score Without Edges: 9 / 12 (=75%)!
Objective Opinion: 3.5 / 4 (=87.5%)!
Average Score: 23.5 / 28 (=83.9%)!

Concept: Stick with me here, as it's been a little while since I've watched this. However (and accessing research to try to be as correct as possible), I remember that the idea revolves around two groups. In group one, the "good guys", people who have developed special abilities have come together as a group for sake of survival. They call themselves "Attractors". On the other side of the story, we have group two, the "bad guys". I have it that this group's name is Custos, although this appears difficult to confirm. Custos are the equivalent of the AST in Date A Live, in that they are a team of people (cyborgs, actually) who attack those with abilities. When one develops their ability/abilities, or when one loses control of said ability/abilities, Custos gets a nice notification, including how powerful a 'larvae burst' it is. The Attractors are lead by a guy named Quon, the hero guy, who intends to save everyone. He's the cliché good guy, really.

Introduction Sequence: - / 2. There is no introduction sequence for Towa no Quon, if I recall correctly. If there is, there isn't a video for it that I was able to find. So, I won't be marking it down or up in this category.

Animation Style: 1 / 1. Okay, the animators seriously went all-out on the animation style. At some points in the anime, the animation style actually changes, and that's super cool too. The animation style is absolutely-freaking-gorgeous... and dark. They're not afraid of the dark, so I love it.

Examples:

Quon! He never looks happy. Link.

...and the dark side. YES <3 Source.

This is Quon's powers-form. Superhero-y. Source.

Music: 0.5 / 1. The music isn't good, and it isn't bad. I won't mark it up or down for that, so it stays 0.5. Link to Towa no Quon OST.

Plot: 3.5 / 3. That's right, I'm giving it an edge on plot. The plot is amazing. The plot is neatly compact, with the proper light and dark points. The first few seconds are nice and intense, leaving your brain plugging connections and understandings. Then the rest of episode 1 is very dull, if I recall. There's a lot of scene-setting and character development, but minimal pressure/tension. By episode 2, things have changed. Pressure is introduced, as well as a lot of darkness. From there on, it's this, that, and the other. Elements keep being introduced (or taken out) as the anime goes on. I especially love the flashback Quon goes through, frankly. I'm also a huge fan of the cyborg's interactions with each other. You get to learn a lot about them, and I found that really awesome (and while it might seem irrelevant under "plot", trust me, it's relevant). The ending was a bit cliché and not exactly my type, but it wasn't disappointing either.
Amazing - dull bits in Ep1 + edge = 3.5.

Characters: 2.5 / 3. I almost gave this category a perfect for characters, but with so many characters and such few episodes, loads of them got basically no back-story. I would actually mark down the plot if the characters had been given more back-story, because there was enough establishment going on already. What I'm trying to say is that they ought have had a few more episodes, and then they would've been able to accomplish the plot arcs as well as get us familiar with more of the characters. If you weren't one of the major/strongest characters, nobody really cared about where you came from and how you got there. I enjoyed the characters because they definitely all seemed human-- you didn't have the 12-year-old conquering the world, for instance. I didn't always agree with the characters, but that's all part of the fun.

Sadly, I'm dropping my habit of character pictures. I might bring it back one day, but I don't find it adds much to my review.

Combat: 1 / 1. The combat in TnQ is really, really well-done. This is an example, but a SPOILER-LADEN ONE.

Power Balance: 0 / 1. As much as I love the anime, the power balance is absolutely terrible. Main characters have all the power in the world (or more), and sub-characters just sort of.. exist.

Addictability: 0.5 / 1. It was definitely addicting, but only after you've made it into the second episode, very much like F/Z. Personally, the only reason I eagerly moved into the second episode was because of the combat at the very beginning of the first episode. It gave me hope that there was more.

Darkness and Bloodiness: 2 / 1. Edge given. While this isn't blood-filled, it's definitely unafraid of showing you blood, and I love that. This anime is also ridiculously, amazingly dark. Some part of me smiled through tears through much of the later episodes.

Ouch. Source.
Believability: Well, from the bat, I'll say that it isn't believable. BUT, after you accept powers and cyborgs and other such elements as real, everything seems believable. There aren't unbelievable elements ever-present, after you achieve certain understandings. That being said, the Last-Save Mechanic seems to be only slightly present, annoyingly.

Philosophy: I don't believe philosophy was hugely apparent in this anime, surprisingly. Admittedly, there's the "you can't save everyone" understanding, but I consider that common sense.

Pros and Cons: Pros: plot, darkness and bloodiness. Cons: some of first episode, power balance.

Objective Opinion: 3.5 / 4. Animation style was gorgeous (1), music didn't stand out well alone (0.5), reality was represented well {though indirectly} (1), introduction sequence didn't exist (-), and there were good characters (1).

Wallpapers:

Quon. Source.
Important tree. Trust me. Source.

Old but gold. Source.


AMV's:

So Cold (Breaking Benjamin) - This is amazing!! Watch it! (Unless you're Roxas. In which case, don't you dare. Spoilers.)
Full Trailer  - Not an AMV, but it's a trailer. It's not bad, but my Japanese isn't good enough yet to understand much of it.
Remember the Name (Fort Minor) - eh, it's not good. It's an AMV, though.

Next time: Ergo Proxy, definitely. Making an Ergo Proxy AMV too, so look forward to that one. At some point, I'll likely do a Towa no Quon AMV too. I like to do AMV's whenever I have trouble finding good AMV's for that particular anime.

Wolfe out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, click "older posts" to view more, or find reviews by particular reviewers from the top. Thanks! ~Wolfe