-->

28.9.13

Fate/Zero Review - Roxas

Hey guys, back with another review. Just recently, I had heard of this anime, so I decided to check it out. What I found was the greatest anime I have ever seen. Bar none. No, this anime isn't perfect, but it is the closest thing I have ever seen to it. Seriously, go watch this anime. Now. This anime is actually a prequel to the anime Fate/Stay Night, but which order you watch it in really doesn't matter. On with the review.
Animation - Beautiful. The animation in this took my breath away multiple times. You could pause this show at random times throughout, and you'd have a new wallpaper. The characters are beautiful, and the 3D CGI interlaces perfectly. The backgrounds are gorgeous. You get the idea.
Beautiful Right?
 Credit to www.thesosblogger.com/

Plot - This story is amazing. The premise is a bit confusing, but here it is. Seven mages are fighting for the ultimate item, the Holy Grail, which grants any wish. To fight, the mages each summon their own servant, and each servant belongs to one of seven classes: Saber, Lancer, Rider, Archer, Caster, Assassin, and Berserker.
Something I need to tell you about this show before I continue. This is a mature anime. Not just mature as in bloody, but there is quite a bit of that as well, it is mature as in the interactions are intelligent, there are philosophical debates, introspection, and the plot does not cater or talk down to you. There is a lot of talking in this anime. Characters' motives are explored, pasts are dug up, ideologies clash, this is not for the young who just want a blood bath and epic fights to ensue.
The thing I find most amazing about this anime is that there are no real heroes are villains (there is one exception in the villain department, one guy is just so sick, you'd have to be dead inside to not hate him). All of the seven mages are presented fairly equally in the beginning, with more exposition on a few as others die and the competition comes to its close. I found myself liking a certain mage one episode, then hating him the very next episode. This clash is not between dark and light (which is in almost every anime), this clash is between human ideals; all of them flawed, yet each bearing merit in its own way.
The dynamic between the servants and mages is also amazing. Most of the servants in this are legendary figures, such as Alexander the Great and Gilgamesh of Babylon. Some mages bond with their servants immediately, others build a relationship over time, and some just don't like each other. All the characters in this mature and change. No one stays the same, further adding to the immersion and feeling that all these people could exist in our world.
One qualm I will put, and it is a small one, at some points people expect you to know the history/mythology of some characters, so if you don't know the mythos, you won't fully appreciate all the interactions, especially towards the end. Another slight problem I have is

(SPOILER WARNING - Spoiling a part of episode 1) King Arthur is a girl in this. The reason I have a problem is a personal one though. Arthurian mythology is my favorite mythology by far, rivaled only by Greek mythology, and I don't like when people mess with it. I will say that she is awesome and a great character, so it isn't that bad.
(End of SPOILER)

Music - The best music I have ever heard in an anime. Beautiful orchestral works, amazing choir pieces, the soundtrack to this adds so much to the beauty of this anime. You could put this music to anything, and it would sound awesome. The mood is always set beautifully with these tracks in the background.

Fights - I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but these are some of the best fights I have ever seen. Ranging from cerebral and strategic sword duels, to intense air battles, to high powered gunfights. The fighting is so smart in this, and all characters use their own respective tactics. I love how this isn't just some hack and slash with no strategy. The variety is also a huge plus. These fights will keep your heart pounding. And there is death . . . a lot of death. Blood too. Got lots of blood.

Verdict - There isn't much more that I can say about this anime. I would recommend this to almost anyone. The only ones I would not recommend this to is people who find talking to be boring, and only wanting to watch fight scenes. If that is the case, it's your loss. And I can guarantee you it is a big loss. Now stop reading this review and go watch Fate/Zero!

Score - 10/10
Note that a 10 does not mean perfect, as I don't think there ever will be a "perfect" anime, a 10 merely means a masterpiece that should definitely be appreciated.
Wallpapers:

tuffwallpapers.com
hqdesktop.net ( My wallpaper. ;) )
hqwallbase.com
quizoxy.wordpress.com



AMVs:
Immortal by Two Steps from Hell


EPIC Video, you gotta see this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZbQYLTXw90


Dance with the Devil by BB

 Don't Stop (Unknown Artist)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, click "older posts" to view more, or find reviews by particular reviewers from the top. Thanks! ~Wolfe