-->

8.9.13

Wolfe: Deadman Wonderland

Wolfe reporting!

Made the mistake of rewatching three episodes of Steins;Gate. I'll never get that amazing theme song out of my head. Steins;Gate is also in my top three.

So, Deadman Wonderland. It's also one of my top three, although it could've been better (meaning it'll get replaced when I find something better). The first episode was a great introduction to the anime, although the anime ends in an odd place. I was curious, and looked up the manga-- the manga goes farther than the anime (by how much, I do not know), and I do wish, as with Claymore, the anime had continued. Unlike Claymore, at least they didn't do much deviation from the manga, best as I can tell. It was going and going and then, when you'd expect more episodes, there weren't any.

To be fair, I'm speaking poorly about an anime I truly loved. It was really very dark, and bloody (they literally fought with their own blood). I use Deadman Wonderland as a baseline when explaining to people what I look for in an anime. I'm a huge fan of characters dying, especially if they're main characters, which is why it isn't my absolute favourite. There's also practically no romantic tension (which fits the setting just fine, I'll say!), but I always prefer there to be a little (I'll be able to talk more about this when I review Steins;Gate).

The concept that these people are prisoners, forced to participate in brutal games for comedic pleasure of the audience (who are told that everything is staged), is positively brilliant! The prisoners generate income for their own prison. Later on, it's discovered that there's an inner point to the prison: holding prisoners with special abilities (the ability to fight with their Branch of Sin, using their own blood) and having them fight each other (to the death) for a select audience. If the loser does manage to survive, they go through a game where they lose... well, something. An eye, a leg, a hand. And, the plot twist regarding the Wretched Egg (not spoiling that one to you guys) had me on the edge of my seat! I do wish the main character was better when it came to fighting, but there's a certain cold, hard reality about the anime that he really painted the picture wish. The main character had a good heart and an epic friend (everyone loves Shiro!), and was pretty cool for a weak main character.

To recap: it was dark, it was bloody, it was harsh, and I loved it.

New admin in the house! Roxas! From my own perspective, I find Roxas to be far too picky when it comes to anime, but he'll bring an interesting perspective to the table. I also hear he has plans to do several posts, and the rumour is that he'll start with Darker Than Black. That's all I'll say about him-- I'll let him introduce himself! Another new admin will be on the way soon too, I think. As for Woodpecker, we're still waiting for his first post.

Links!:

Deadman Wonderland Wiki (Branches of Sin)
Nande (Darkjester Wallpaper)
Shiro Wallpaper
I Want To Survive (Wallpaper)
Destructive Aftermath (Wallpaper)
Ganta and Shiro (Wallpaper)
Deadman Wonderland (Title-esque Wallpaper)
Senji and his Crow Claw (Wallpaper)

{Sorry, no AMV's this time! At some point I intend to read the Deadman Wonderland manga, and hopefully then I'll have a post with AMV's.}

Next week: Towa no Quon (spelled Towanoquon by Hulu for some reason)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, click "older posts" to view more, or find reviews by particular reviewers from the top. Thanks! ~Wolfe