-->

15.9.13

Wolfe: Towa no Quon

Wolfe reporting.

Towa no Quon (sometimes crammed together as Towanoquon for some reason) was one of the best animes I have ever seen. Since I've seen it most recently, it's my current number 1, but whenever I re-watch Steins;Gate, S;G will take the number 1 back (recency effect).

I give it a 9.5 / 10.

Animation style: gorgeous. You could pause at any point, and even if there's something mundane and unimportant in the background for only a few seconds in the entire anime, it would still be thoughtfully put together. Lots of eye candy. For one particular part, there is a nightmare/memory (which I won't spoil) where the animation style is intentionally wholeheartedly different-- it was surprisingly touching and effective at setting the mood.

Music: seemed great! I generally won't notice the music unless it's particularly bad, because I'll get sucked into the anime. After some re-watches, I can generally notice it, but it's quite challenging for me, as my instinct is to get completely sucked into it.

Plot: somewhat clichè, but very well-done, in my opinion. There were a few twists I wasn't quite expecting as the plot advanced, but for the most part, things were fairly predictable in a comic book sense (lots of perfectly-timed saves). Some people have abilities, of which they struggle to control, and when they fail to control them (usually due to stress, like being shot at) they change into something similar to an unleashed state, whereupon they are totally out of control. These people are being hunted down by a government-funded group, including mostly droids and, more importantly, cyborgs. The interactions between the group with abilities and the cyborgs makes up most of the general direction of the plot, if not all.

Characters: we don't get much backstory to any characters besides the main two, which I found somewhat disappointing. There was also practically no romantic tension, which, while perfectly fitting, I admit that I missed it. The voice acting seemed fine to me, but similarly to music, I won't notice voice acting unless it's really bad or unless I've seen the anime several times. It is for this category only that I don't give the anime a 10/10.

Episodes were roughly an hour long each, but there were only six of them, adding up to the traditional 12-episode episode set. There were serious advantages for doing 6 one-hour-long segments versus 12 half-hour-long segments, though, because the introduction and credits were played half as much, and it wouldn't have to stop on cliffhangers. I thought it was very clever.

Took some suggestions from my colleague Roxas, so you'll notice my review is a bit different. I'll evolve my style over time, with luck. Or perhaps I won't have a standard, floating about as I feel fitting to the anime.

New admin in the house! Baldr! Baldr has remarkably similar tastes to me in anime, so it's entirely possible that a lot of our reviews will overlap, and that's just fine.

Also: I have intention on changing the background at some point, so wish me luck in finding a better one! The current one is from my beloved Steins;Gate.

Wallpapers:
 
Cover:




Sadly, no AMV's yet. Whenever I find a good time to simply surf Youtube, perhaps I'll make a post devoted entirely to catching you guys up on any AMV's that I'll have missed, because, for now, Youtube seems long out of my reach.

Next week: Valvrave the Liberator!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, click "older posts" to view more, or find reviews by particular reviewers from the top. Thanks! ~Wolfe